1/48 F6F-5N Hellcat, VF-19; USS Lexington as it appeared during the
Invasion of Leyte, 26/10/44
See for another view.
Converted from the Otaki F6F-3 Hellcat:
- The cowl was modified
- Deleted the windows aft of the cockpit
- Scratchbuilt the starboard wing radome (mostly based on a drop tank from
the spares box)
- Cowl gills opened
- Cockpit detailed and a new seat (scratchbuilt from sheet plastic) plus a
new canopy vac formed and opened.
- The model was painted with Gunze acyrlics.
- The Sea Blue was mixed, then buffed to a high gloss with a lacquer polish.
- Decals came from various decal sheets, mostly Microscale.
- The kit was then finished with a polished coat of wax over which the
exhaust stains were airbrushed.
Model by Dave Askett