1/72 North American F-100D Super Sabre

Model by William Alcott.

See for another view.

This is the ESCI kit, which is quite nice despite it's age, featuring nice recessed panel lines, and good overall accuracy. The only problem area on the kit are the cockpit, which lack detail, and the intake and exhaust area, both of which are overly shallow.

In the cockpit I scratchbuilt a seat following the drawings in the Detail and Scale book on the Hun (yeah, I know there's aftermarket seats available, but I'm a cheap bastard). I added instrument bezels from thin sheet and dials from sprue to the featureless instrument panel. For the side walls, I added bits and pieces from various decals along with sprue knobs. I also added the side supports for the gunsight, and added a plate on the rear decking, behind the seat, to fill this area out. The kit canopy was distorted, so I filed the outside into a better shape, then polished it clear with several applications of Turtle Wax.

The kit intake is blocked off about half an inch from the lip. I couldn't figure out any way to make this look good, so I drilled out the front end of the fuselage, and built an itake trunk that reached back to the nose gear well. I built the trunk in two halves (i.e. with a section in each half of the fuselage), and then filled the seams and smoothed the trunk interior with multiple coats of white glue (an important note- if you use this method, make sure to avoid getting any water into the intake, or else the glue will soften and ruin its appearance). For the afterburner, I reamed out the back of the kit part (which lacked any detail), and then added a section from the Italeri Soviet Stealth fighter kit, which added both length and detail.

In replicating the finish of the Hun, it's important not to let restraint get in your way. A camouflaged Hun doesn't look right without a scorched rear end, and half its finish blasted away. To replicate the heat tinted rear end, I drybrushed heavily with mixtures of steel, insignia blue and dark brown until the results looked reasonable. The decals for this model are from Superscale, and represent the only set of decals for a camouflaged F-100D that I've been able to find. Typically, Superscale goofed on the decals, providing stencilling and warning placards only for the natural metal finished machines. I carefully trimmed all the clear film away from the silvering-prone ESCI decals, and the applied them with a touch of white glue. With the way the model came out, I'm almost eager to get onto my second single-seater, to do up in natural metal!